- 4 beetroot
- 75g quinoa
- 2 Medjool dates
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 2 oranges
- 2 red onions
- 2 tbsp tahini
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 150ml boiling water
- 100ml warm water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Slide a roasting tin into the oven on the top shelf to heat up.
2. Peel the beetroot. Cut them into 2cm thick wedges. Pop in a bowl and toss with 2 tsp olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Tumble the beetroot into the heated roasting tin. Roast for 15 mins.
3. Rinse the quinoa in a sieve for 1-2 mins. Set a small pan over a high heat. Add 1 tsp each of the fennel and coriander seeds. Stir and toast for 1-2 mins till they smelly aromatic. Stir in the quinoa with 1 tsp of the ground cumin. Pour in 150ml boiling water.
4. Finely grate in the zest of 1 of the oranges. Turn the heat down under the pan. Cover and simmer for 15 mins or till all the water is absorbed. Take off the heat and set aside.
5. While the quinoa cooks, peel and thinly slice the onions. Tip them into a bowl. Add a pinch or two of chilli powder (it’s spicy, so add as much as you like), 1 tsp each fennel and coriander seeds and some salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Add to the tin with the beetroot. Roast for 10 mins or till the onions and beetroot are just golden around the edges.
6. Stone the dates. Pop in a food processor or blender with 100ml warm water, 2 tbsp tahini, a pinch of the chilli powder, 1 tsp ground cumin and the zest from your remaining orange. Season and blitz till smooth. No processor? Just stir them all together for a chunkier sauce.
7. Slice the tops and bottoms off the zested oranges. Slice the white pith off with a knife. Cut the segments out of each orange over a bowl to catch any juice. Squeeze the papery membranes to squeeze out any last bits of juice. Discard the membranes.
8. Toss the warm spiced beetroot with the orange segments. Heap the quinoa on plates and top with the orangey beetroots. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Scatter it on top. Spoon over the dressing to serve.