- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin of lentils
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 600ml hot water
- 75g spaghetti
- 2½ tsp ras al hanut
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 100g cavolo nero
- 2 tbsp yogurt
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Trim, peel and dice the carrots. Halve the pepper and scoop out the seeds and pith. Dice to match the carrots.
2. Place a pan on a medium heat for 2 mins. Add 2 tbsp oil, the veg and cook for 8 mins till softened.
3. Meanwhile, peel and crush the garlic. Drain and rinse the lentils. Break the spaghetti strands into 2cm-long pieces. Fill and boil the kettle.
4. When the veg have cooked for 8 mins, add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Stir in 2 tsp ras al hanut. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and 600ml hot water from the kettle.
5. Bring to a bubble. Add the lentils and spaghetti with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pop the lid on. Simmer for 10 mins till the spaghetti is just cooked.
6. Meanwhile, trim any dry ends from the cavolo nero and discard any really thick stems. Shred the leaves as finely as possible. When the minestrone has cooked for 10 mins, add the cavolo nero and cook for a further 1 min to slightly wilt it.
7. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning. Ladle into warmed bowls, top with a dollop of yogurt and a pinch of ras al hanut to serve.