- 2 large or 4-6 smaller spuds
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few lumps of butter (more or less, to taste)
- A splash of warm milk
- 2 large handfuls kale, chard, spinach, cavelo nero
- A splash of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1. Peel your potatoes. Cut into chunks. Boil in a saucepan with a pinch of salt, till tender. Drain. Mash with butter and warm milk till it’s creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Or, roast your spuds whole on a bed of salt till tender – this takes longer (about 1 hr) but you get a fuller flavour. Halve the warm spuds. Scoop out flesh. Save skins for a snack. Mash as above.
3. Pull your greens away from their woody stalks, if necessary. Finely chop, like you would parsley. Get a frying pan hot. Add a little oil. Fry greens with garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper till bright, glossy green and tender. Mix through the mash. Taste. Adjust seasoning.