- 1/2 stalk of rhubarb
- A thumb of ginger
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- A handful of dill
- 1 lemon
- 250g of lamb mince
- 150g bulgar wheat
- A punnet of baby leaf salad
- 150g of natural yogurt
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Trim the rhubarb into 5 cm lengths. Run a vegetable peeler down the lengths to make fine ribbons. Pop in a plastic or glass bowl or tub. Peel the ginger and finely grate it. Add to the rhubarb.
2. Measure out the vinegar and sugar. Add to the rhubarb with a pinch of salt. Give everything a stir. Loosely cover with clingfilm. Pop a tin or mug into the bowl to squish everything together.
3. Chop 3 sprigs of dill. Grate the zest from the lemon. Pop ½ the zest in a bowl with the dill, mince and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Knead together (keep the remaining lemon zest for later).
4. Shape the mixture into round, flattish patties. Aim for 6 patties per person. Pop on a plate. Cover with cling film. Bung in the freezer for 5 or so mins to firm them up.
5. Fill a pan with water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. When it’s boiling, add the bulgar wheat. Simmer with the lid on for around 8-10 mins till it’s fluffy and tender.
6. While the bulgar wheat cooks, heat your grill to high. Grill the lamb koftas for around 10 mins. Turn once while they’re cooking so they’re golden brown on both sides.
7. Juice ½ the lemon. Whisk with 2 tbsp olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Taste. Add more seasoning if you think it needs it. Add to the babyleaf salad in a bowl and toss to mix.
8. Drain the bulgar wheat. Pop the yogurt into a bowl. Stir in the remaining lemon zest, a pinch of pepper and a little chopped dill from any sprigs you have left. Serve with the koftas, pickled rhubarb and the salad.