- A thumb of ginger
- 1 chilli
- 50g tamari
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 pork loin steaks
- 2 salad onions
- 200g spring greens
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 150g white basmati rice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp + 500ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Peel and crush or grate 2 of the garlic cloves into a dish. Peel and grate in the ginger. Finely chop the chilli, flicking out the white seeds and pith for less heat, and add to the dish. Stir in the tamari and 1 tbsp sugar. Pour in 2 tbsp boiling water and give everything a good stir to mix well.
2. Lay the pork steaks in the dish with the marinade and turn a few times to coat them. Set aside for 10 mins to marinate.
3. While the pork steaks marinate, peel and finely slice the remaining garlic cloves. Trim the roots and dry tops off the salad onions. Finely slice them, keeping the white and green parts separate. Cut the spring green leaves off their thick cores and finely slice the leaves into thin ribbons. Crumble the stock cube into a jug and stir in 200ml boiling water.
4. Tip the rice into a sieve and give it a good rinse under cold water. Tip into a small pan and add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid and bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and simmer for 8 mins till all the water is absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave it in the pan, lid on, for 5 mins to steam.
5. While the rice cooks, warm a deep frying pan over a high heat for 2 mins. Add ½ tbsp oil and the pork steaks, shaking off any excess marinade. Fry for 5 mins till well browned underneath, then flip and fry for a another 5 mins to cook the steaks through. Lift the steaks out of the pan and pop them on a warm plate. Loosely cover with foil and leave them to rest.
6. Add another ½ tbsp oil to the pan with the sliced garlic and white salad onion parts. Stir fry for 30 secs, then add the spring greens and most of the green salad onion parts. Stir fry for 3-4 mins to just soften the veg a little. Scrape in the marinade from the pork steak dish and pour in the stock. Pop on a lid. Simmer for 5 mins to cook the spring greens.
7. Fluff the rice up with a fork and divide between 2 warm plates. Top with the garlicky greens and the pork steaks. Garnish with the remaining salad onion slices to serve.