- 75g wholewheat couscous
- 150ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 200g kale
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 150g yogurt
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 chilli
- 1 avocado
- A handful of mint, leaves only
1. Tip the couscous into a heatproof bowl. Add 150ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover and set aside for 15 mins to soak.
2. Meanwhile, warm a frying pan to a medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and toast for 3-4 mins, tossing frequently. Tip into a small bowl.
3. Trim the cores away from the kale. Shred the leaves and add to a large bowl. Squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Season. Add 1 tbsp oil and massage the leaves for 4-5 mins. Set aside.
4. Pop 1 tbsp tahini into a small bowl. Peel the garlic clove and grate it in. Squeeze in the rest of the lemon juice and stir. Add the yogurt and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
5. Halve the pomegranate around its equator. Hold 1 half, cut-side down, in the palm of your hand over a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to thwack the pomegranate – the seeds should fall into the bowl. Pull out any stubborn seeds, discarding the white pith. Repeat with the other half.
6. Halve the chilli, flicking out the seeds and pith for less heat, and finely chop it. Halve the avocado and scoop out the stone. Peel the skin and chop the flesh into chunks. Add the avocado, chilli and pomegranate to the bowl with the kale.
7. Fluff up the couscous and add it to the kale. Tear over the mint leaves. Top with the toasted seeds. Stir through the yogurt dressing and serve.