- 150g white basmati rice
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stick
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 300ml boiling water
- 2 butcher's cut centre steaks
- 50g peppery salad mix
1. Tip the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold water, then set aside. Peel and finely chop the onion. Trim the celery stick and finely chop it. Halve the pepper, scoop out the white seeds and pith and finely chop the pepper.
2. Warm a medium-sized pan over a medium heat for 2 mins, then add the chopped veg with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with a little salt and a good pinch of black pepper. Fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the veg start to look glossy.
3. While the veg fry, peel and grate or crush the garlic. Stir the garlic into the veg. Add 2 tsp Cajun seasoning and drop in the bay leaf. Cook, stirring often, for 2 mins.
4. Stir the rice into the pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Cover, bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down and gently cook for 8-10 mins till all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Take off the heat and leave the rice to steam, in the pan with the lid on, for 5-10 mins.
5. While the rice cooks, put a frying pan on a high heat and warm till it’s smoking hot. Rub ½ tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into the steaks.
6. When the frying pan is really hot, add the steaks and fry for 3-5 mins on each side, depending on how well done you like your steaks. Take them out of the pan and set aside on a board or warm plate, loosely covered with foil, and rest for 2-3 mins.
7. Toss the salad leaves with ½ tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
8. Fluff the rice with a fork, discarding the bay leaf. Serve the steaks with the Creole rice and salad on the side.