- 160g falafel mix
- 450ml boiling water
- Bulgar wheat
- 1 red onion
- 1 vine tomato
- ½ cucumber
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- ½ tsp sumach + extra for dusting
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine
- 100g turmeric houmous
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Fill and boil the kettle. Tip the falafel mix into a heatproof bowl and cover with 200ml boiling water. Stir and set to one side for 15 mins.
2. Tip the bulgar wheat into a separate heatproof bowl and pour over 250ml boiling water from the kettle. Swirl with a fork, cover with a plate and set aside while you prepare the rest of the dish. The bulgar will absorb the water and become tender.
3. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the red onion. Dice the tomato. Chop half the cucumber into small pieces. Slide the onion, tomato and cucumber into a bowl. Peel and grate in the garlic. Roughly chop the mint leaves and add them to the bowl. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add ½ tsp sumach and a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and stir. Set to one side.
4. Trim the top off the aubergine then slice the aubergine into bite-size pieces. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm it to a medium-high heat. Add the aubergine to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 10-12 mins, turning a few times, till golden and soft.
5. While the aubergine is frying, shape the falafel mix into 3-4cm sized balls and place them on a plate or board.
6. When the aubergine is cooked, lift the it out onto a plate. Pop the empty aubergine pan back on a medium heat for 1 min, then drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add 6 falafels and fry for 3-5 mins till golden brown on all sides, turning them regularly. Lower the heat if they are darkening too much or too quickly. Lift the falafels out onto a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining falafels.
7. Drain any remaining water off the bulgar wheat, then divide the bulgar between 2 warm bowls. Top with the turmeric houmous, fried aubergine, falafels and salad. Serve dusted with an extra pinch of sumach.