- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 150g buckwheat
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- 150g halloumi
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 50g rocket
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the sweet potatoes, chop into bite-sized pieces and tumble into a roasting tin. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin seeds and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Slide into the oven and roast for 10 mins.
2. While the sweet potatoes roast, tip the buckwheat into a pan and add a pinch of salt. Cover with 300ml boiling water and return to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce to a simmer for 10 mins. The buckwheat should absorb the water. Once it is tender, take off the heat and set aside to cool slightly while you prep the rest of the dish.
3. Slice the tomatoes into wedges. When the sweet potatoes have roasted for 10 mins, add the tomato wedges to the roasting tin. Return to the oven for a further 20 mins.
4. Peel and grate the garlic into a bowl. Add the lime zest and juice. Add salt and pepper and whisk in 1 tbsp olive oil to form a dressing. Set aside.
5. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a frying pan and bring to a medium-high heat. Slice the halloumi into 8 pieces. When the pan is hot, add the halloumi slices to the pan and cook for 2 mins. Spoon in 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce and turn the slices over to coat. Fry on the other side for a further 2 mins, till the halloumi is golden and sticky.
6. Tip the cooked buckwheat into a large bowl (draining off any excess water if necessary) and add the cooked sweet potatoes and tomatoes, along with the rocket leaves. Spoon over the dressing and toss well to combine.
7. Pile the warm buckwheat salad onto 2 plates. Top with the sticky sweet chilli halloumi slices and serve straight away.