- 35g walnut halves
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g gnocchi
- 1 lemon
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 120g feta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp cold water
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Set a dry frying pan on a medium heat and tip in the walnut halves. Toast for 2 mins, shaking the pan often, till the walnuts are lightly browned and smell nutty. Tip out into a bowl and set aside. Set the frying pan to one side.
2. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Put the frying pan back on a medium-low heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry, stirring often, for 10 mins till the onion is golden and soft.
3. Meanwhile, fill a large pan with hot water from the kettle, topping it up with more water if necessary. Set on a high heat, bring back to the boil then add the gnocchi. Simmer for 4-5 mins, till the gnocchi float to the surface. When they bob up, they're ready, so drain them.
4. While the gnocchi cook, finely grate the zest from the lemon. Add the garlic and lemon to the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
5. Add the baby leaf spinach to the onion with 2 tbsp cold water and fry, stirring, for 2 mins to just wilt the spinach. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch more salt or pepper if needed. Stir to mix, then add the gnocchi and toss together.
6. Divide the gnocchi and veg between 2 warm plates. Crumble over the toasted walnuts and the feta, and serve.