- 6 handfuls of new or salad potatoes, sliced 1-2cm thick
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb
- 100g creme fraiche
- 1 lemon
- A tiny pinch of sugar
- A smoked mackerel fillet or two
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
If you don’t like fish, omit it and serve the salad with a poached egg perched on top.
1. Sizzle the spuds in a frying pan with a glug of olive oil till gold and soft. Add the garlic near the end. Season well. Put the spuds into a dish.
2. Shave the fennel into wispy bits (use a vegetable peeler). Toss with the potatoes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
3. In a dish, mix the crème fraîche, grated lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and a tiny pinch of sugar. Add a bit of fresh dill, parsley and/or tarragon, if you like, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4. Break the mackerel into small bits. Fold through the salad. Add a drizzle of oil and touch more lemon juice. Scatter fresh herbs and/or the fuzzy, dill-like fennel fronds.
5. Serve warm or cold with a dollop of the lemon crème fraîche.