- 5 carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large handfuls of baby leaf spinach
- 100g alfalfa sprouts
- 1 orange
- A handful of mint
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp coriander seeds or ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, almonds or any nuts you fancy
- A 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 1 avocado
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Heat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Halve your carrots lengthwise (or quarter if they’re really big). Tumble them into a roasting tin. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season. Roast for 30 mins till tender and a little crisp around the edges.
2. Roughly slice the baby leaf spinach. Place into a large bowl along with the sprouts. Grate the zest of the orange and add to the bowl.
3. Juice your orange in a food processor or blender. Add 5 large mint leaves, 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Blitz till smooth. If you don’t have a processor, finely chop the mint and whisk the dressing together in a bowl.
4. Peel and grate your garlic. When the carrots are done, stir the garlic, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander seeds or coriander and 1 tsp nuts through them. Pop back in the oven for 3 mins or till the pine nuts are golden.
5. Drain the beans and rinse them. Fold them through the roast carrots.
6. Pop half the carrots in the bowl with the spinach. Pour over the dressing and stir to mix.
7. Scatter the remaining spiced carrots over the top of the salad. Halve and stone your avocado. Slice, peel and place on top of the salad. Scatter over the remaining mint leaves to serve.