- 4 kidneys
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 thick slices of sourdough bread
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, leaves only
1. Slice the kidneys in half lengthways so they keep their kidney shape. Use a pair of scissors of sharp knife to snip away the membranes and white core.
2. Sprinkle the flour on a plate. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and the chilli powder. Crush the mustard seeds in a pestle and mortar and add them to the flour. Roll the kidney halve sin the flour to coat them.
3. Slice the rind off the bacon. Chop the rashers into small pieces.
4. In a small bowl, mash the butter with the Worcestershire sauce and capers. Set aside. Roughly chop the parsley leaves.
5. Set a frying pan over a high heat. Add the bacon. Turn the heat down to medium and fry for 4-5 mins, stirring, till the bacon is a little browned.
6. Add the butter to the pan. As soon as it has melted, add the kidneys. Fry for 3 mins on each side.
7. While the kidneys cook, toast the bread. Scoop up the kidneys and their buttery juices and spoon them over the toast. Scatter over the parsley and serve straight away.