- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cauliflower
- 50g watercress
- 2 hake fillets
- 2 tbsp warm water
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 250ml boiling water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15-20 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Pop in a pan with 2 tbsp warm water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Cook over a low heat for 5-8 mins till soft. Stir every so often. If it looks like it’s sticking, add a splash more water.
2. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Add to the onion with 1 tsp of the turmeric, 1 tsp of the garam masala and 1 tsp of the mild curry powder. Cook and stir for 1 min.
3. Stir in the tomatoes. Pour in 150 ml boiling water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
4. While the sauce simmers, chop the cauliflower into chunks. Pop in a food processor (see our tip if you don’t have one). Blitz for 1-2 mins to make cauliflower ‘rice’.
5. Pull off any large stalks from the watercress so you just have tender stems and leaves. Set aside.
6. Chop the hake into bite-sized pieces. Add to the pan. Cover and cook gently for 5 mins till the fish flakes easily. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside with the lid on.
7. Tip the cauliflower into a separate pan. Pour in 100 ml boiling water. Cook over a medium heat for 4-5 mins till just tender. Drain if necessary. Season. Serve topped with the watercress and curried hake.
8. TIP: No food processor? You can make your ‘rice’ by using a grater. Chop the cauliflower into wedges and coarsely grate, then cook as per the recipe.