- A thumb of ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- A pinch of cayenne or chilli powder
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- 2 hake fillets
- 150g white basmati rice
- A head of broccoli
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sea salt
- 350ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and grate the ginger and garlic and pop in a bowl. Measure in 1 tsp each of the garam masala and turmeric. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (add more or less, depending on how spicy you like your food) and a grind of black pepper.
2. Pour in the coconut milk. Finely grate the zest from the lemon and set aside. Juice half the lemon into the bowl. Set the remaining lemon half aside. Mix the coconut sauce well and add a pinch of salt.
3. Place the hake fillets in a small baking dish. Pour the coconut curry sauce over the fish to coat them. Slide the dish into the oven and bake for 20 mins till the fish is cooked through and flaky.
4. Meanwhile, tip the rice into a large pan. Cover with cold water and whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain, rinse and tip back into the pan. Add the lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Cover with 350ml boiling water. Simmer the rice over a meidum-low for heat 6 mins, with the lid on.
5. While the rice is cooking, finely chop the broccoli, stalk and all. After the rice has cooked for 6 mins add in the broccoli and squeeze in the juice from the remaining lemon half. Stir together, take off the heat and leave to steam with the lid on for a further 2-4 mins.
6. Divide the broccoli rice between two bowls and top with the hake. Spoon over the spiced coconut sauce from the dish to serve.