- 200g white basmati rice
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 1 onion
- 1 pointed red pepper
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g tine of black beans
- 227ml single cream
- 1 corn on the cob
- Sea salt
- 400ml cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover with cold water and whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy (you can use a fork). Drain the rice and rinse it. Tip it into a small pan. Pour in 400ml cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to the boil. When the pan boils, turn the heat off and set aside for 20 mins.
2. While the rice is cooking, warm a pan over a medium heat for 1 min. Add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken. Fry for 8-10 mins, turning once or twice till the chicken is browned all over.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the pepper. Scoop out the seeds and white bit, then finely chop. Scoop the chicken out of the pan and pop it on a plate. Add another ½ tbsp oil to the pan and scatter in the onion and pepper. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins till the veg start to look glossy.
4. While the veg cook, finely chop the parsley stalks (keep the leaves for later). Peel and crush the garlic. Add the parsley stalks and garlic to the pan with around 1 tsp cayenne (it's spicy, so use less or more, depending on how hot you like your food). Cook and stir for 1 min.
5. Tip the chicken back into the pan. Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the pan. Cook and stir for 1 min to mix everything together. Pour the cream into the pan. Turn the heat down to low. Put on a lid. Gently simmer for 10 mins.
6. While the chicken warms through, pull the green silks off the sweetcorn and pull off any strings that remain. Chop a small slice off the cob's base so it will sit upright on your board. Run your knife down the corn cob to slice off the kernels.
7. Take the chicken off the heat and set aside, lid on, to keep warm. Put a small frying pan on the heat. Add the sweetcorn and fry for 3-4 mins till it is browned and starting to jump.
8. Taste the chicken and add more salt or pepper if it needs it. Fluff the rice up with a fork and spoon into 2 warm bowls. Top with the Creole chicken and the toasted corn. Roughly chop the parsley leaves and scatter it over to serve.