- 500g potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 1 carrot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml full cream milk
- A handful of tarragon, leaves only
- 340g fsh pie mix
- 1 lemon
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Put a pan of salted water on to boil.
2. Peel the potatoes and chop them into bite-sized chunks. As soon as the water in the pan is boiling, add the potatoes. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 mins, till the potatoes are tender and can be easily crushed with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, trim the roots and woody greens off the leeks. Slice them in half and rinse out any dirt. Thinly slice the leeks. Scrub the carrot and finely dice it. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
4. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a deep frying pan and warm it over a medium-low heat. Add the leek, carrot and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook for 10 mins, stirring once or twice, till softened.
5. Stir the flour into the veg and cook for 2 mins. Pour in around 100ml of milk and stir till smooth. Slowly pour in 300ml of the remaining milk (save the last 100ml for later). Stir the milk and veg till fully mixed. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the tarragon leaves and the fish pie mix. Grate in the lemon zest. Ladle the fish pie filling into an ovenproof dish, or leave in the frying pan if that can go into your oven.
6. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and steam dry for 1 min. Tip the potatoes back into the pan and pour in the remaining 100ml milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mash till smooth. Spoon the mash over the pie filling, then use a fork to smooth it out to an even layer. Slide the pie into the oven and bake for 20-25 mins, till golden and bubbling.
7. While the piebakes, trim any dry ends off the Tenderstem® broccoli stalks. Fill a pan with hot water and bring to the boil. When the pie is almost ready, add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 mins till tender, then drain.
8. Divide the fish pie between a couple of plates and serve with the broccoli on the side, along with wedges of the zested lemon for squeezing.