- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 250g diced chicken breast
- 1 red onion
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 chilli
- 1 mini romaine lettuce
- Sea salt
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 tsp olive or sunflower oil
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Rinse the rice under cold water then tip into a small pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Clamp on a lid, bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and very gently simmer for 25 mins till the rice has absorbed the water and become tender. Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the pan for 5 mins to finish cooking.
2. While the rice cooks, finely grate the zest from the lime into a mixing bowl and set aside. Squeeze the juice from half the lime into a separate bowl. Peel and grate the garlic into the lime juice. Add 2 tsp Cajun seasoning, a pinch of salt and 1 tsp oil. Stir to make a paste. Add the diced chicken and turn to coat it in the paste. Set aside for 5 mins to marinate.
3. Meanwhile, preheat your grill to high. Line a baking tray or grill pan with foil and set to one side. Peel the red onion and halve it. Finely chop 1 half and add that to the lime zest. Slice the remaining red onion half into 4-6 wedges.
4. Spread the chicken pieces out on the foil-lined tray. Arrange the onion wedges around them. Slide the tray under the grill for 10-12 mins, turning the chicken and veg halfway through. The chicken should be golden-brown and cooked through – there should be no pink in the middle if you slice into a piece. The onion will be tender and lightly charred. If it’s cooked before the chicken is ready, remove the onion from the tray and set aside.
5. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add them to the lime zest bowl. Halve the chilli, scraping out the seeds and white pith if you prefer less heat, and finely chop it. Juice in the remaining lime half. Add a pinch of salt and toss to mix.
6. Roughly chop the lettuce leaves. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide it between 2 warm plates. Top with the lettuce, the tomato salsa, the chicken and red onion wedges. Serve straight away.