- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 lemon
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pomegranate
- 35g walnuts
- 50g rocket
- A large handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 cauliflower
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Add ½ tsp mixed spice to a large bowl. Zest and juice in the lemon. Pour in 2 tbsp olive oil. Peel and finely chop the onion and add to the bowl. Stir to mix. Trim and chop the cucumber into small chunks. Add to the bowl, but don't stir it in.
2. Halve the pomegranate. Hold a half in the palm of your hand, cut-side down, over the bowl. Using a wooden spoon, whack the pomegranate and the seeds should tumble through your fingers. Repeat with the other half, pulling out any reluctant seeds, discarding the white pith.
3. Set a frying pan on the heat. When warm, tip in the walnut halves. Toast for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan, till golden. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
4. Roughly chop the rocket. Finely chop the mint leaves. Add to the bowl on top of the cucumber and pomegranate seeds.
5. Trim the base from the cauliflower. Roughly chop the cauli and pop it, leaves and all, into a food processor. Pulse till it resembles bulgar wheat. No processor? Coarsely grate the cauliflower, tip it onto a board and chop till it resembles bulgar.
6. Place the pan back on the heat for a few mins and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the cauliflower to the pan with a pinch of salt and fry on a high heat for 5 mins till softened and browned slightly. Tip it into the mixing bowl. Toss everything together.
7. Divide the salad between a couple of plates and top with the toasted walnuts to serve.