- 2 parsnips
- 2 carrots
- 1 celeriac
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 leek
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 orange
- 6 cardamom pods
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp honey
- 300ml boiling water
- 25g sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 75g peppery salad mix
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the parsnips and carrots. Slice the roots and skin off the celeriac. Chop all the veg into fingerlength pieces. Spread out on a baking tray. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and season. Turn to coat in the oil. Roast for 25 mins till tender and slightly charred.
2. Trim the very top and bottom off the leek. Halve it and rinse out any grit. Finely slice it. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely grate or pare the zest from the orange (keep the orange for later).
3. Warm a pan over a medium heat. Add ½ tbsp oil, the leek and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and sweat for 5-6 mins till soft. Stir now and then. While the leeks cook, lightly crush 6 cardamom pods with the back of a knife to open them up a little.
4. Stir in the garlic, cardamom pods and bulgar wheat. Stir for 1-2 mins till it smells fragrant.
5. Pour in 300 ml boiling water into the pan. Cover. Turn the heat down. Simmer over a low heat for 15 mins till the water is absorbed.
6. Drizzle 1 tbsp honey over the roasted root veg. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of the cumin seeds and the sachet of sunflower seeds. Pop back in the oven for another 5 mins.
7. Squeeze a little juice from the orange into the bulgar wheat. Stir, taste and add more salt, pepper or orange juice if you think it needs it. Fish out the cardamom pods if you spot them.
8. Heap the bulgar wheat on warm plates. Top with the peppery salad mix and root veg, drizzling over any sticky juices from the tray. Sprinkle the grated zest on top to garnish and serve with wedges of orange for squeezing.