- 500ml veg stock
- 1 floury potato, peeled and diced
- A splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (more or less, to taste)
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 head of broccoli, finely chopped
To serve, try frying a few almonds in a little olive oil and scattering them on top.
1. Pour the stock into a pan and bring it to the boil. Add the potato and lower the heat to a rolling simmer.
2. Warm a splash of oil in a frying pan till hot. Add the onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat.
3. Sizzle till the onion is tender. Sir in the garlic and chilli and cook till softened. Add the orange zest and juice, and let the juice reduce down till it’s almost a sticky glaze. Take the pan off heat.
4. When the potato is cooked, add the broccoli to the pot and cook till just tender.
5. Spoon a bit of stock into the onion pan to loosen the mixture. Scoop the onion mixture into a food processor, adding the broccoli, potato and most of the stock. Whizz till smooth, adding more stock as needed to reach your preferred consistency.
6. Taste the soup and add more orange or chilli, if you like.