- 500ml veg stock
- 1 floury potato, peeled and diced
- A splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (more or less, to taste)
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 head of broccoli, finely chopped
Delicious with a few almonds fried in a little olive oil scattered on top.
1. Bring your stock to the boil. Add the potato. Lower heat to a rolling simmer. Add a splash of oil to a hot frying pan. Add the onion in with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower heat.
2. Sizzle till tender. Mix in the garlic and chilli. Cook till softened. Add the orange zest and juice. Let the juice reduce down till it’s almost a sticky glaze. Take off heat.
3. When the potato’s cooked, add the broccoli to the pot. Cook till just tender.
4. Spoon a bit of stock into the orangey/onion pan to loosen the mix. Pop it in a food processor, along with the broccoli, potato and most of the stock. Whizz till smooth. Add more stock as needed to reach desired consistency.
5. Taste. Add more orange or chilli, if you like.