- 2 beetroot
- 150g halloumi
- A 400g tin of green lentils
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 orange
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 chilli
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50g peppery salad mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your grill to high. No grill? Heat your oven to its highest setting or get the barbecue going. If using your oven, place a grill pan or a non-stick baking tray on the top shelf to heat up.
2. Peel and coarsely grate your beetroot. Coarsely grate the halloumi. Drain and rinse your lentils. Pluck the mint leaves from the stems. Peel the garlic. Grate the zest from your orange. Toast 2 tsp cumin seeds in a hot frying pan till fragrant.
3. Pop them all into a food processor or blender (see our tip if you don’t have either of these). Slice the chilli, flicking out the seeds and white bits for less heat. Add to the processor.
4. Blitz the beetroot mix till it starts to come together. Tip into a bowl. Fold the flour through and season lightly.
5. Scoop the mix into 6 balls and squeeze firmly to bring the mix together. Flatten slightly. Place on a plate and pop into the freezer to firm up for 10 mins or longer if you can.
6. Once the burgers are ready, set them on your baking tray. Cook under the grill or on a barbecue for about 7 mins till a crust has formed on one side, then flip over and grill for another 7 mins. If cooking in the oven, cook for about 12 mins – no need to flip them over. Leave them to cool slightly before carefully lifting from the tray.
7. Juice your orange. Whisk with 2 tbsp olive oil till it looks creamy. Season to taste.Toss your salad leaves with half the dressing. Use the remaining dressing to drizzle over your burgers. If you have any leftover cumin seeds, toast them and scatter over your burgers.
8. Tip: If you haven't got a food processor, finely grate the beetroot and halloumi. Finely chop the garlic, chilli and mint. Mash the lentils till nearly smooth. Beat in the rest of the burger ingredients till it holds together.