- 4 skewers
- 300g diced rump steak
- A pinch or two of cayenne or chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 150g bulgar wheat
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 50g rocket
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml boiling water
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Put the wooden skewers in a bowl of cold water to soak and set aside. Place the diced rump steak in a food processor.
2. Peel 1 clove of garlic and finely chop it. Peel the red onion and finely chop half. Roughly chop the parsley and finely grate the lemon zest.
3. Add the chopped onion half, garlic, parsley and zest to the food processor along with a pinch of cayenne pepper (the cayenne is hot, so use as much or as little as you like), and a little salt and pepper. Blend till everything is finely chopped and well combined. (If you don’t have a processor, chop the steak as finely as you can and pop in a bowl, add the other chopped ingredients as above and mix till well combined – use your hands if you like, to really scrunch the ingredients together and get a good, even mixture.)
4. Divide the mince mixture into 4 and squeeze into sausage-like shapes around the skewers. Set aside.
5. Thinly slice the remaining onion half. Peel and crush or finely grate the remaining garlic clove. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a pan and bring to a medium heat. Slide in the onion and garlic. Stir in 1 tsp cumin, a pinch of cayenne and some salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins, till softened. Tip in the tinned cherry tomatoes and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 mins.
6. Meanwhile, pour the bulgar wheat into a large bowl. Top up with 300ml boiling water and cover the bowl with a plate. Set aside for 15 mins. When cooked, squeeze in the lemon juice and 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper and stir.
7. While the bulgar soaks, set a large, heavy frying or griddle pan on a high heat. When hot, pour in 1 tbsp oil and carefully lay in the beef koftes. Fry for 8 mins, turning every few mins, till golden and the edges are crisp.
8. Spoon the lemony bulgar wheat onto plates and add dollops of the spiced tomato sauce. Top with the beef koftes and a scattering of rocket leaves.