- 4 skewers
- 300g diced rump steak
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- A pinch or 2 of cayenne or chilli powder
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 300ml boiling water
- 50g rocket
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Put the wooden skewers in a bowl of cold water to soak and set aside. Place the diced rump steak in a food processor.
2. Peel 1 clove of garlic and finely chop it. Peel the red onion and finely chop half. Roughly chop the parsley and finely grate the lemon zest.
3. Add the chopped onion half, garlic, parsley and lemon zest to the food processor along with a pinch of cayenne pepper (the cayenne is hot, so use as much or as little as you like), and a little salt and pepper. Blend till everything is finely chopped and combined. (If you don’t have a processor, chop the steak as finely as you can and pop in a bowl, add the other chopped ingredients as above and mix to combine – use your hands if you like, to really scrunch the ingredients together and get a good, even mixture.)
4. Divide the mince mixture into 4 and squeeze into sausage-like shapes around the skewers. Set aside.
5. Thinly slice the remaining onion half. Peel and crush or finely grate the remaining garlic clove. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the onion and garlic. Stir in 1 tsp cumin, a pinch of cayenne and some salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins, till softened. Tip in the tinned cherry tomatoes and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 mins.
6. Meanwhile, pour the bulgar wheat into a large bowl. Top up with 300ml boiling water and cover the bowl with a plate. Set aside for 15 mins. When cooked, squeeze in the lemon juice and 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper and stir.
7. While the bulgar soaks, set a large, heavy frying or griddle pan on a high heat. When hot, pour in 1 tbsp oil and carefully lay in the beef koftes. Fry for 8 mins, turning every few mins, till golden and the edges are crisp.
8. Divide the lemony bulgar wheat between a couple of plates and spoon over the spiced tomato sauce. Top with the beef koftes and handfuls of rocket to serve.