- 2kg gammon roasting joint
- 2 garlic cloves
- A large handful of sorrel
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 160 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4. Remove the packaging from the gammon joint and rub it all over with a good pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp oil.
2. Warm a large, heavy pan to a medium-high heat. Add the gammon to the hot pan and fry for 3-4 mins on each side, till the skin is golden brown and beginning to blister. Use tongs to carefully transfer the meat to a roasting tin.
3. Slide the gammon into the oven and roast for 2 hrs 30 mins, till the meat is cooked through and the juices run clear. Set aside to rest for 10 mins.
4. While the meat is resting, make the salsa verde. Peel the garlic cloves. Roughly chop the sorrel. Zest the lemon. Pop the garlic, sorrel and lemon zest into a small food processor. Spoon in 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and and 1 tbsp capers. Squeeze in half of the lemon juice. Pour in 2 tbsp oil. Whizz till everything is finely chopped. Have a taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon if needed, you want it to be sharp and punchy. Add a little more oil if needed to loosen the mixture into a spoonable salsa.
5. Slice thick chunks of gammon and dollop over generous spoonfuls of salsa verde. Serve with roasted potatoes and a few bitter leaves.