- 75g quinoa
- 2 shallots
- 1 lime
- 200g kale
- 2 eggs
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of coriander
- 1 avocado
- 150ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Rinse the quinoa and tip it into a pan. Pour in 150ml boiling water. Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10–12 mins till the quinoa has absorbed the water and is tender. Take off the heat.
2. Meanwhile, peel the shallots and very thinly slice them. Slide them into a bowl. Grate over the lime zest and squeeze over the lime juice. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper. Stir and scrunch everything together with your hands till well coated, then set aside while you complete the rest of the dish.
3. Fill a separate pan with boiling water and return to the boil. Strip the kale leaves and tear into pieces. Drop the kale into the boiling water for 2 mins. Scoop the kale out of the water with a slotted spoon and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out any excess water and set aside.
4. Return the pan of water back to the boil and add the eggs. Simmer for 7 mins (8 for firmer yolks) then plunge them into a bowl of cold water.
5. Finely chop the mint leaves and the coriander, leaves and stalks. Halve the avocado and scoop out the stone. Peel away the skin and slice the avocado into thick pieces.
6. Tip the quinoa into a large bowl. Pour the pickled shallots and their dressing over the top, along with 1 tbsp olive oil. Fold in the chopped herbs and kale. Drain the eggs and peel off the shells. Slice in half.
7. Arrange the quinoa salad on 2 warm plates. Top with the avocado slices and eggs. Finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to serve.