- 75g quinoa
- 150ml boiling water
- 2 shallots
- 1 lime
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200g kale
- 2 eggs
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of coriander
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Rinse the quinoa and tip it into a small pan. Pour in 150ml boiling water, cover and bring to the boil. Ssimmer for 10-12 mins till the quinoa has absorbed the water, then take the pan off the heat and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, peel the shallots and thinly slice them. Slide them into a bowl. Grate over the lime zest and squeeze in the juice. Season with salt and pepper then scrunch everything together with your hands. Set aside to pickle.
3. Fill another pan with hot water from the kettle and bring it back to the boil. Strip the kale leaves off theoir cores and roughly shred them. Add the kale to the boiling water and simmer for 2 mins, then carefully lift it out of the pan and rinse with cold water.Give the kale a squeeze to wring out any remaining water, then set aside.
4. Keep the pan of water on the boil and gently add the whole eggs. Simmer for 7 mins (8 for firmer yolks) then plunge them into a bowl of cold water.
5. Finely chop the mint leaves and the coriander leaves and stalks. Halve the avocado and scoop out the stone. Scoop the flesh out of the skin and cut it into thick slices.
6. Tip the quinoa into a large bowl. Pour the pickled shallots and their dressing over the top, along with 1 tbsp olive oil. Fold in the herbs and kale. Drain and peel the eggs, then slice them in half.
7. Divide the quinoa salad between a couple of warm plates. Top with the avocado slices and eggs, and a pinch of salt and pepper to serve.