- 2 aubergines
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g dried dates
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 35g flaked almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 150g pearl barley
- 300ml boiling water
- 300g spring greens
- 1 orange
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the aubergines and slice thinly lengthways – you should get 5 or 6 slices from the middle of each aubergine. Reserve the end slices for later. Arrange the middle slices in 1 layer on 1 or 2 baking trays and drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 mins, or till softened and golden.
2. While the aubergine slices roast, peel and finely chop the onions and garlic. Finely chop the end slices of the aubergine, and the dates. Finely chop the parsley, leaves and stalks.
3. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a frying pan and warm over a medium heat for 1 min. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 2 mins till slightly softened, then stir in the chopped aubergines, dates, flaked almonds, 1 tsp mixed spice and 1 tsp ginger. Add 3-4 tbsp water and cook for 10 mins till everything is cooked and tender. Stir through most of the chopped parsley. This is your stuffing.
4. Tip the barley into a pan and cover with 300ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover, return to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins or till tender and most of the water has been absorbed. While the barley cooks, shred the spring greens.
5. The filling should be ready by now, so spoon 1 tbsp of the stuffing onto each roast aubergine strip and roll the strip around it. If you have any leftover stuffing, keep it for later. Arrange the aubergine rolls on a baking tray and slide back into the oven for 3-4 mins.
6. When the barley is tender, grate in the orange zest and squeeze in the juice. Add the greens and stir through the barley, along with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 mins till the greens are tender.
7. Spoon the orange-scented barley onto a couple of plates and top with a few of the aubergine rolls. Spoon over any remaining filling and leftover parsley to serve.