- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 large potato
- 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 100g watercress
- 1 lemon
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 700ml boiling water
1. Peel and finely slice the garlic clove. Warm a pan over a low heat. When warm, pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in the sliced garlic with a pinch of salt. Fry for 3-4 mins, till the garlic slices are golden and crispy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, popping them onto some kitchen paper to drain. Take the pan off the heat.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and finely dice the potato. Place the pan back on the heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and fry for 5 mins, stirring often, in the garlicky oil. Add the potato and cook for 3 mins. Crumble in the stock cube. Pour in 700ml boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
3. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans. Add them to the pan. Pick the leaves from half the watercress and set aside. Roughly chop the rest. Add all the chopped watercress to the pan. Grate in the zest from the lemon, then halve the lemon and squeeze in the juice from 1 half.
4. Blitz the soup till smooth using a stick blender, or pour into a blender. Put the soup back on a low heat. Swirl through the reserved watercress. Taste and season the soup, adding more lemon juice if needed. Serve in warm bowls and top with the crispy fried garlic to serve.