- 190g marinated tofu
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red pepper
- 400g vine tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1-2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 40g tomato sauce
- 450ml boiling water
- 150g white basmati rice
- Sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Drain the tofu and chop it into bite-size chunks. Trim the roots and dry tops off the spring onions, then finely slice them. Halve the red pepper, scoop out the seeds and white pith and roughly chop the pepper. Roughly chop the tomatoes.
2. Crumble half the stock cube into a heatproof jug or bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the tamari (keep the rest for later), the Worcester sauce and the tomato sauce. Pour in 150ml boiling water and stir to dissolve the stock cube. Set aside.
3. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 6-8 mins till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice.
4. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a small bowl, add a pinch of salt and beat them with a fork. Place a wok or deep frying pan on a high heat for 2 mins, then add ½ tbsp oil and the beaten eggs. Swirl them round the pan to coat it. Let the eggs cook for 1-2 mins till just set. Stir to break them up. Scoop out of the pan and set aside on a plate.
5. Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper, then add ½ tbsp oil and the tofu. Fry for 4-5 mins, turning occasionally, till the tofu is browned all over.
6. Add the spring onions, pepper and tomatoes to the pan. Stir fry for 4-5 mins till the veg have started to soften at the edges but still have bite.
7. Pour in the tomatoey stock. Bring to a bubble. Turn the heat down a bit and simmer for 3-4 mins till the toms are pulpy and starting to break down.
8. Return the eggs to the pan and gently stir to mix them in. Taste the sauce and add more tamari if you think it needs it. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide between 2 warm plates or bowls. Top with the tomato, egg and tofu stir-fry and serve.