- 4 tofu grill herb sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large potatoes
- 400g cannellini beans
- 1 bouquet garni
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml boiling water
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Place a medium pan or casserole dish on a medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the tofu sausages. Fry for 4-5 mins, turning once, till golden brown.
2. While the sausages fry, peel and thinly slice the onion. Scoop the browned sausages out of the pan and set aside on a plate. Add another ½ tbsp olive oil to the pan and add the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the onion is lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, trim the dry ends from the celery sticks and roughly chop the celery. Trim the carrots and slice on the diagonal into 1cm-thick rounds (no need to peel unless you want to). Peel and grate, crush or finely chop the garlic. Stir the celery, carrot and garlic into the onion. Cook, stirring often, for 5 more mins.
4. While the veg fry, scrub the potatoes and chop them into bite-size chunks (again, you can peel these if you prefer). Drain the cannellini beans and rinse them.
5. Add the potatoes and beans to the veg. Drop in the bouquet garni (if you have kitchen string, you can tie the herbs together to make them easier to fish out at the end). Add the chopped tomatoes and pour in 500ml hot water from the kettle. Stir to mix. Pop on a lid and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 mins till the potatoes are tender.
6. Return the sausages to the pan and simmer for 5 mins, to mingle the flavours. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Taste the hot pot and add a pinch more salt or pepper if needed. Ladle the hot pot into warm bowls, discarding the bouquet garni. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.