- 35g peanuts
- 1 onion
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- A handful of coriander
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 800ml boiling water
1. Put a large pan on a medium heat and tip in the peanuts. Toast for 2-3 mins till browned. Tip onto a plate and set aside. Take the pan off the heat.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and roughly chop the sweet potatoes. Put the pan back on a medium-low heat for 2 mins, then drizzle in 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion and sweet potatoes, season with a pinch of salt and cook on a gentle heat, stirring often, for 10 mins till starting to soften.
3. While the veg fry, peel and grate the garlic and ginger. Finely chop the coriander stalks, setting the leaves aside for later. Fill your kettle and boil it.
4. Add the garlic, ginger and coriander stalks to the pan with the Thai red curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins. Pour in 800ml boiling water from the kettle. Clamp on a lid and simmer the soup, turning up the heat a little, for 10 mins till the sweet potatoes are tender.
5. While your soup simmers, roughly chop the toasted peanuts.
6. Add half the peanuts to the soup. Using a hand blender, blitz the soup in the pan till it’s really smooth, or transfer it to a blender and blitz. Taste and add more salt if you think it needs it. Ladle the soup into warm bowls. Top with the remaining peanuts and the coriander leaves to serve.