- 200g original tempeh
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 150ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 4 bamboo skewers
- 50g teriyaki sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions
- 50g sweet salad mix
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle, then fill a medium pan with the hot water and bring back to the boil. Chop the tempeh into around 12 chunks. When the water in the pan is boiling, add the tempeh. Turn the heat down and little and simmer for 10 mins.
2. While the tempeh simmers, rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. If you used all the hot water from the kettle, fill and boil it again then add 150ml boiling water to the rice with a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid, bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and very gently simmer for 25 mins till the rice has absorbed the water. Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the pan, lid on, for 5-10 mins to finish cooking it. The rice will stay warm in the pan.
3. Put the skewers into a dish or bowl and cover with cold water – this will help to stop the skewers catching and burning when you grill them. Pour the teriyaki sauce into a bowl or dish. Squeeze in the juice from half the lime and stir to mix. When the tempeh has cooked for 10 mins, drain it and add to the teriyaki sauce. Turn to coat in the sauce and set aside while you prepare the veg.
4. Halve the peppers, scoop out the white seeds and pith, then chop them into bite-sized chunks. Peel the red onion and slice into 8 wedges. Trim the roots and any ragged greens off the spring onions, then slice the white parts into chunks around 2cm long and finely slice the green parts.
5. Preheat your grill to high. Line a baking tray with foil. Thread the tempeh and veg onto the skewers and place them on the baking tray. Any veg or tempeh that won’t fit on the skewers can be placed on the baking tray around the skewers.
6. Slide the tray under the grill and cook for 8-10 mins, turning the skewers (and any veg and tempeh on the tray) over halfway through. The veg and tempeh should be lighted charred at the edges and tender.
7. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide it between 2 warm plates, along with the salad leaves. Top with the teriyaki tempeh skewers and serve with wedges of the remaining lime half for squeezing.