- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 100g mature cheddar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 50g peppery salad mix
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15-20 mins
1. Heat your grill to high. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Set a frying pan on a medium heat to warm up, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onion. Fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the onion has started to soften and look glossy.
2. While the onion fries, trim any dry ends off the base of the Tenderstem® broccoli. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Add the broccoli to the frying pan and fry, stirring often, for 3 mins. Add 2 tbsp water to the pan and fry for a further 2-3 mins till the broccoli is dark green and just tender when pierced with a knife.
4. While the broccoli fries, coarsely grate the cheddar cheese and add half to the beaten eggs. Stir to mix
5. Stir the garlic into the veg. Cook and stir for 1 min, then pour in the egg mixture. Turn the heat down and gently cook for 2 mins till the underneath is just set.
6. Scatter the remaining cheddar over the top of the frittata, then slide it under the grill (if your frying pan isn’t suitable for sliding under the grill, see our tip below). Grill for 5 mins, till the frittata is golden brown and set.
7. While the frittata grills, whisk 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp cider vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the salad leaves and toss to coat. Let the frittata cool in the pan for a few mins once it is cooked, then slice it into wedges and serve with the salad.
8. Good Grilling If your frying pan isn't suitable for sliding under the grill, then transfer the veg to a small heatproof dish before you add the beaten eggs. Pour over the beaten eggs, then sprinkle over the remaining grated Cheddar and slide the dish under the grill. The frittata will cook under the grill (it make take a few more mins) and you can serve the frittata in slices.