- 150g white basmati rice
- A thumb of ginger
- 50g sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 garlic cloves
- A head of broccoli
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cold water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside to soak.
2. Peel and grate the ginger into a dish. Add the sweet chilli sauce and stir in 1 tbsp of the tamari (keep the rest for later). Stir to mix well, then add the salmon fillets. Gently turn to coat in the sweet chilli marinade and set aside.
3. Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves. Break the broccoli into small florets, then slice the stalk into 1cm-thick slices and discard the dry end.
4. Heat your grill to high. Drain the rice and tip it into a small pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low. Gently simmer for 8 mins till all the water has been absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave it in the pan, lid on, for 5-10 mins to steam the rice and finish cooking it. It will stay warm in the pan.
5. While the rice cooks, line a grill pan or baking tray with foil. Lift the salmon fillets out of the marinade and place them, skin-side down, on the foil. Spoon or brush over a little extra marinade from the dish. Slide under the grill and cook for 5-8 mins till the salmon is pink. You don’t need to turn it over, it will cook all the way through. To check, press with a fork. The salmon will flake easily and its flesh will be opaque.
6. While the rice and salmon cook, set a wok or deep frying pan over a high heat. Add ½ tbsp oil and the broccoli. Stir-fry for 2-3 mins till it’s just starting to char and soften. Add the garlic with 1 tbsp of the tamari, 1 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp cold water. Stir fry for 3-4 mins till the wok is aromatic and the broccoli well coated in garlic and tamari.
7. Divide the broccoli between 2 warm bowls or plates. Fluff the rice and scoop onto the plates. Add the crisp-skinned salmon fillets and serve straight away.