- 1 punnet of mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 large onion (red or white), peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- A glug of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ mug of white rice
- 100ml white wine or brandy (the latter is preferable – if you’ve got some)
- 1 bay leaf, a sprig of rosemary and/or a sprig of thyme
- 250g crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp butter
- A pinch of paprika
- A handful of fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Warm a large baking tray inside.
2. Toss the mushrooms, onion and garlic with a splash of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Tumble onto the warm tray. Roast, turning once or twice, till golden and a bit crisp (20-30 mins). Remove from oven.
3. Toast rice in hot lidded pan with a little oil and a pinch of salt for a mo. Add a mug of water. Stir. Cover. Cook for 12 mins. Take off heat. Steam, covered, till serving time.
4. Place wine or brandy in a warm saucepan. Add bay, rosemary and/or thyme. Boil till reduced by half. Lower heat. Remove herbs. Swirl in crème fraîche. Add mushrooms. Season to taste.
5. Swirl a spoon of butter into the rice. Serve with creamy mushrooms. Dust with a hint of paprika and fresh parsley.