- 150g white basmati rice
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- A thumb of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- A head of broccoli
- 100g white crab meat
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 2 tsp olive, coconut or sunflower oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Tip the rice into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside to soak.
2. While the rice soaks, pour 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar and 1 tbsp Worcester sauce into a bowl. Stir in 1 tsp sugar with a pinch of salt till they start to dissolve. Peel and grate in the ginger and garlic. Give it a good stir to mix.
3. Trim and peel the carrot. Finely slice it into batons. Trim the root and top 3cm off the leek. Slice a cross in the top of it and open it out to rinse out any grit. Finely slice it. Break the broccoli into small florets. Finely slice the stalk.
4. Drain the rice and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt to the pan. Cover. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 8 mins till the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Take off the heat and leave to steam in the pan for 5 mins.
5. While the rice cooks, warm a deep frying pan or wok over a high heat for 2 mins. Add 2 tsp oil with the carrot, leek and broccoli. Stir fry for 5-8 mins till the veg just start to soften.
6. Add the crab to the pan. Pour in the gingery vinegar mixture. Stir fry for 3-5 mins to warm everything through. Take off the heat. Taste and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it.
7. Fluff the rice up with a fork and divide between two warm bowls. Top with the crab and veg. Serve straight away.