- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 200g spaghetti
- 2 eggs
- 40g Parmesan
- 100g smoked salmon
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Peel and finely chop the red onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Trim the dry ends off the Tenderstem® broccoli and cut the spears in half lengthways.
2. Pour the hot water from the kettle into a large pan, add a pinch of salt and bring it back to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook for 7 mins.
3. While the spaghetti cooks, warm a small frying pan on a medium heat for 1 min, then pour in ½ tbsp olive oil. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 6 mins, stirring often, till soft and glossy. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min, then turn off the heat.
4. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and beat them to combine. Finely grate in the Parmesan and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
5. When the spaghetti has cooked for 7 mins, add the broccoli to the pan and simmer together for 3 mins till the pasta is soft but with a slight bite. Scoop a mugful of cooking water out of the pan (mind your fingers, or use a ladle) then drain the pasta and broccoli.
6. Tip the spaghetti and broccoli back into the pan. Add the garlicky onion and toss to mix. Pour in the Parmesan and egg mixture and add 2 tbsp pasta water. Toss to mix – the heat from the spaghetti will cook the egg mixture slightly, making it thicken. If the sauce seems too dry, add another 1-2 tbsp pasta water.
7. Tear the smoked salmon into the pan and toss to mix. Season with a little black pepper, if you think it needs it. Divide the salmon and spaghetti carbonara between 2 bowls or plates and serve.