- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400g pork sausages
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 500g spaghetti
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 1 lemon
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Peel the butternut squash, then cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Chop the squash into small 1-2cm-thick cubes. Set to one side. Peel and finely chop the onions. Peel and grate or crush the garlic cloves. Squeeze the sausages from their skins. Fill a large pan with water and sprinkle in a good pinch of salt. Pop the pan on the hob and bring to the boil.
2. Place a separate, large pan on a medium heat and drizzle in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and break in the sausage meat. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 8-10 mins, stirring regularly, till the chunks of sausage meat are golden and the onion is glossy and starting to soften. Meanwhile, fill and boil your kettle.
3. Add the chopped squash to the pan, along with the fennel seeds, and stir well. Pour in 500ml boiling water from the kettle and crumble in the stock cube. Stir again and bring everything up to a bubble. When the sauce is boiling, reduce to a medium heat, pop on a lid, and cook for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, till the sauce is reduced and the squash is tender.
4. When the sauce is nearly ready, the water in the other pan should be boiling. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook it for 8-9 mins, till cooked but still with a little bite. Drain the spaghetti well.
5. Scatter the spinach leaves into the pan with the sauce and stir till wilted. Stir through the cooked spaghetti till well combined. Squeeze in a little lemon juice. Taste and add more salt and pepper or lemon juice, if needed.
6. Divide the spaghetti and sauce between warm plates and serve topped with grated parmesan cheese.