- 400g beetroot
- 750g potatoes
- 600g carrots
- 2 red onions
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 800g tinned chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- A large handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 100g baby leaf spinach
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim and scrub the beetroot and chop them into bitesized chunks. Scrub the potatoes and chop them to match. Trim the carrots. Keep any thinner ones whole, and cut the thicker ones in half lengthways. Peel the red onions and quarter them.
2. While the veg roast, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pop them in a bowl and drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil. Add 1 tsp each ground coriander and caraway seeds, and 2 tsp fennel seeds with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chickpeas.
3. Tumble the veg onto a large baking tray, making sure the veg are spread out in a single layer. Use another baking tray if you need to. Drizzle over 3 tbsp olive oil and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the veg. Wrap the garlic cloves in a parcel of foil and pop that on to the tray, then slide the tray into the oven for 45 mins.
4. Finely chop the mint leaves and place in a small bowl. Zest and juice in the lemon. Pour in 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
5. After 45 mins, remove the baking tray from the oven. Lift out the foil parcel of garlic and set aside. Tip the chickpeas onto the tray. Toss together. Slide back into the oven for 15 mins.
6. Let the garlic bulb cool for 5 or 10 mins, then carefully pull the cloves apart. Squeeze the garlic flesh from its papery skin, into the bowl with the lemon and mint dressing. Whisk together.
7. Divide the baby leaf spinach between 6 plates. Remove the veg from the oven and spoon it over the spinach leaves. Drizzle the garlicky mint dressing over the top of each dish to serve.