- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 50g dried dates
- 75g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- A handful of coriander
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle. Slice the cauliflower into small florets and thinly slice the stalk, discarding the leaves. Peel the carrots and cut into chunky batons. Pop both in a large roasting tin. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil, add a generous pinch of salt and pepper and toss together. Roast for 25 mins, turning halfway.
2. While the veg roast, roughly chop the dates and tip them into a large bowl. Tip in the bulgar wheat and sprinkle over a pinch of salt. Add 150ml boiling water from the kettle. Cover the bowl with a lid or plate and set aside for 15 mins. The bulgar wheat will soak up the water and this will ‘cook’ it.
3. Make the tahini dressing by peeling the garlic and finely grating it into a bowl. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and spoon in the tahini. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli pwoder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp water and stir well to combine and make a smooth dressing. Set aside.
4. Cut away any tough stalks from the spinach and roughly shred the leaves. When the bulgar wheat is tender, drain off any excess water then use a fork to fluff it up. Stir in the spinach along with the roast veget. Fold through the tahini dressing.
5. Pile the salad onto plates. Tear over the coriander to garnish, and serve.