- 35g walnut halves
- 200g rainbow chard
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 celery stick
- 2 apples
- 400g tin of green lentils
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat. Tip in the walnuts and toast them for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan often, till browned and nutty smelling. Tip into a small bowl and set aside.
2. Trim the dry ends from the rainbow chard, then finely shred the stalks and leaves. Peel the red onion and thinly slice it. Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
3. Place the frying pan back on the heat. Add ½ tbsp olive oil and the red onion. Fry for 5-6 mins, stiring often, till the onion is glossy. Add the chard with a pinch of salt. Pour in the lemon juice. Cook and stir for 3 mins till the chard is wilted. Take the pan off the heat.
4. Pour 1 tbsp each cider vinegar, honey and olive oil into a large salad bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk well to make a dressing.
5. Trim and thinly slice the celery. Add to the dressing. Quarter the apples and slice out the cores. Slice the apples as thinly as possible and add to the bowl with the celery and dressing. Toss together to coat the apple to stop it browning.
6. Drain and rinse the lentils. Shake as much excess water off as possible and add them to the bowl. Stir well to mix.
7. Add the walnuts and lemon zest, along with onion and chard mix and fold together. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed, and serve.