- 2 sticks of rhubarb, sliced in 2-3cm-thick chunks
- 5 tbsp honey
- ½ vanilla pod
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 300ml crème fraîche
- Granola, crystallised ginger or fresh berries, for topping (optional)
Prep: 20 mins + freezing | Cook: 10 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Place the chopped rhubarb in a roasting tin, slide into the oven and roast for 10-15 mins or till soft and tender.
2. Place the honey in a medium-sized pan. Gently warm till about to bubble. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla pod half. Take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool for 5-10 mins. While it’s still warm, but not hot, whisk in the egg yolks and whisk for 3 mins or so, till it thickens. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Fold the roasted rhubarb into the mixture, then whisk in the crème fraîche. Spoon into a freezer-safe tub or bowl. Cover and pop in the freezer. It should freeze in 1-2 hrs, or you can leave it overnight.
4. Let the rhubarb ice cream soften for a few mins at room temperature, then scoop into bowls or serving glasses. You can serve it as it is, or top with granola, chopped crystalised ginger or summer berries.