- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 2 top rump minute steaks
- 1 carrot
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 spring onions
- 100g spinach
- 200g udon noodles
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp sunflower, coconut or olive oil
- 100ml warm water
1. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Pour1 tbsp sesame oil into a dish or bowl and add 2 tbsp tamari and 1 tbsp Demerara sugar. Peel and grate in the garlic and ginger. Stir to mix well. Add the minute steaks to the dish and turn to coat in the marinade. Set aside while you prepare the veg.
2. Scrub and trim the carrot, then slice it into thin batons. Halve or quarter the shiitake mushrooms,so they are all roughly the same size. Trim the roots and any ragged tops off the spring onions,then thinly slice them (white and green parts).
3. The water should be boiling by now. Add the udon noodles and simmer for 8 mins, till the noodles are tender but still with a bit of bite.
4. While the noodles simmer, put a frying pan on a high heat for 2 mins, then add the steaks, shaking off any excess marinade. Fry for 30 secs-1 min on each side, till cooked to your liking. Lift out of the pan and pop on a plate. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm while they rest.
5. Add ½ tbsp oil to the frying pan and add thecarrot, shiitake and spring onions. Stir fry for5 mins, till the veg are just starting to soften and look juicy.
6. The noodles should be ready by now, so drainthem and add them to the veg. Scrape in the marinade from the dish and add 100ml warm water. Toss together.
7. Slice the steaks and add them to the pan. Toss everything together again and warm through for 2-3 mins. Add the spinach and stir to just wilt it, then divide the steak and shiitake noodles between 2 warm plates and serve.