- 500g potatoes
- 1 shallot
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 lamb leg steaks
- 1 red onion
- 50g lamb's lettuce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes (you don’t need to peel them, but you can if you prefer) and chop into chunks around 1cm across. Tip them into a roasting tin, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat in the oil and seasoning. Roast in the oven for 25 mins.
2. While the potatoes roast, peel and finely chop or grate the shallot into a small bowl. Strip the leaves off the rosemary sprigs and finely chop them. Add most of them to the dish, keeping a pinch back for garnishing. Finely grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Add 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together to make a dressing.
3. Prick the lamb leg steaks all over with a fork (this helps tenderise them) and pour over half the lemon and herb dressing. Keep the other half of the dressing in the bowl for later. Turn the lamb in the dish a few times to coat it, then set aside for 10-15 mins to marinate.
4. While the lamb marinates, peel and slice the red onion into around 8 wedges.
5. The potatoes should have been in the oven for 25 mins by now. Take the tin out of the oven and add the red onion to the tin. Toss to mix with the potato, then return to the oven and roast for a further 20 mins till the potatoes are crisp and golden and the onion is tender.
6. When the veg have 15 mins left, put a frying pan or griddle pan on a high heat for 2 mins. Add the lamb steaks to the pan, shaking off any excess marinade. Fry for 4-5 mins till golden brown underneath, then flip the steaks over and fry for another 4-5 mins. Lift the lamb steaks out of the pan and pop them on a warm plate or board, loosely cover with foil and rest for 5 mins.
7. Take the veg out of the tin and add the lemon dressing from the bowl to the tin. Toss to coat the veg. Add the lamb’s lettuce and toss very quickly to lightly coat in the dressing. Transfer the roast potato salad to 2 warm plates. Nestle a lamb steak on each plate and serve.