- 1 onion
- 400g vine tomatoes
- 1 chilli
- 400g tin of mixed beans
- 150g white basmati rice
- 300g cooking chorizo sausages
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml hot water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Out Of The Frying Pan Tip:
If you don't want to fry the chorizo sausages, you can grill them. Preheat your grill, line a baking tray or the grill pan with foil, spread the sausages out on the foil and grill for 6-8 mins, turning halfway, till browned.
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Dice the tomatoes. Halve the chilli and finely chop it (you can flick out the seeds and white pith for less heat). Fill and boil your kettle.
2. Place a medium pan on a medium-high heat for 2 mins. Drizzle in ½ tbsp oil. Add the chopped veg and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till they start to soften.
3. While the veg fry, drain and rinse the beans. Rinse the rice under cold water for 1 min. Tip the drained beans and rice into the pan with the veg and stir to mix. Pour in 300ml hot water from the kettle. Add a good pinch of salt then pop on a lid. Simmer for 10 mins till the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
4. Meanwhile, place a frying pan on a medium-high heat for 2 mins. Drizzle in ½ tbsp oil then add the chorizo sausages. Fry for 8-10 mins, turning them every now and then till cooked through.
5. Zest the lime into the cooked rice. Squeeze in the juice from half the lime and cut the other half into wedges. Taste the rice and add a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
6. Serve the rice on warmed plates topped with the fried chorizo and wedges of lime, drizzling over any chorizo oil from the pan.