- A punnet of baby plum tomatoes
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 red pepper
- 2 red onions
- A gloss of olive oil, plus more to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 400-500ml boiling water or stock
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Put a roasting tray on the top shelf to warm up. Put your tomatoes in a large bowl. Slice the woody top and fronds off your fennel. Set aside.
2. Cut the remaining fennel and the red pepper (discard stem and seeds) into a 3 cm dice. Peel and cut your onions into 1 cm thick slices.
3. Add all the chopped veg to the tomatoes. Gloss with oil. Season well. Tumble into your warmed roasting tray. Cook on the top shelf for 30 mins.
4. Peel and finely chop your garlic and the leaves from your rosemary. Stir them and the fennel seeds through the roasted veg. Return to the oven for 5 mins.
5. Put all the veg and seeds into a food processor or blender. Add enough boiling water or stock to cover. Whizz till smooth. Trickle in more stock or water till it’s as thin as you like. Tweak seasoning to taste.
6. Thinly slice the remaining fennel. Scatter on the soup as a garnish. Finish with a gloss of olive oil.