- 200g/2 packs Seafood & Eat It dressed crab meat (33/67 mix of brown and white)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped or a pinch of chilli powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 handfuls of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil (melted so it’s liquid), rapeseed or sunflower oil for the aioli
1. Mix the crab meat with salt and pepper, chilli, half the garlic, a handful of coriander, lime zest and juice. Fold in the yolk of one egg and half of your breadcrumbs.
2. Whisk the egg white in a separate dish. Pop the leftover breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
3. Divide the crab mix into 6-8 little golf balls. Roll through the egg white mix. Coat with breadcrumbs. Pop in the freezer to firm up for 15 mins.
4. For the aioli, whisk the other egg yolk with salt, pepper, 2 tbsp lime juice and the remaining garlic, till thick and frothy.
5. Whisk in 1 tbsp of your oil at a time till fully incorporated. The mix should thicken. Stir in a handful of coriander. Taste. Tweak seasoning. Add more chilli, if you like.
6. Put the dip in the freezer while you fry the crab cakes in a hot oiled frying pan. Sizzle on both sides till nicely golden. Serve hot with the cold, herby aioli.