- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 short cucumber
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 150g Greek style yogurt
- 1 mini romaine lettuce
- 2 spring onions
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 50g lamb's lettuce
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Put a dry frying pan on a medium heat and shake in 2 tsp cumin seeds. Toast for 1-2 mins, shaking the pan, till the seeds start to pop and jump and smell aromatic. Tip them into a mixing bowl. Take the frying pan off the heat (you'll need it later).
2. Peel the cucumber (the peel on short cucumbers can be bitter, but if you don't mind a little bitterness then you can leave the peel on). Halve the cucumber and finely chop it. Add it to the cumin seeds. Pick the mint leaves off their sprigs and finely chop them. Add half the leaves to the cucumber, and keep the remaining chopped leaves set aside for later.
3. Spoon the yogurt into the bowl, add a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir to mix, then set aside.
4. Trim the root end off the lettuce, then halve the lettuce and finely slice it into shreds. Trim the roots off the spring onions and slice away any ragged greens. Finely slice the spring onions.
5. Tip the flour into a clean mixing bowl and tip in 1 tsp baking powder. Add a pinch of salt and stir with a fork to mix everything together. Crack the egg into a separate small bowl and whisk with a fork to beat it. Pour the egg into the flour, add 150ml cold water and stir together to make a loose batter. Tip in the remaining mint leaves, the shredded lettuce and spring onions. Stir to mix the veg and batter together.
6. Put the frying pan on a medium-high heat and warm for 2 mins. Add a splash of oil to the pan, swirl to coat the base of the pan and then drop in 4 heaped tbsp batter to make 4 fritters. Fry for 3-5 mins, then carefully flip over using a spatula. Fry for another 3-4 mins till browned underneath. Lift the fritters out of the pan and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add a splash more oil to the pan and repeat to make 4 more fritters.
7. Divide the fritters between 2 warm plates and serve with the cucumber yogurt and handfuls of lamb's lettuce on the side.