- 25g sesame seeds
- 1 kiwi
- A thumb ginger
- 50g tamari
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 250g beef stir-fry strips
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 150g white basmati rice
- 300ml + 150ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp water
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Tip the sesame seeds into a dry wok or deep frying pan and place over a medium heat. Toast for 2 mins, shaking the pan, till the sesame seeds are golden and start to pop. Tip them into a pestle and mortar and grind them for a few mins so they're roughly crushed. No pestle and mortar? Use a jam jar and a small bowl instead.
2. Slice the skin off the kiwi and finely chop the kiwi. Add it to the sesame seeds. Peel and grate in the ginger. Use the pestle and mortar to bash everything together to form a thick pulp. Scrape it into a large bowl.
3. Add the tamari and 1 tbsp sugar to the bowl. Stir together to make a marinade. Add the beef and give it a good stir to ensure it's coated. Set aside to marinate for 10 mins.
4. Peel and finely slice the onion. Trim the roots and top 3cm off the leek. Slice a deep cross into the top of the leek and open it out so you can wash out any grit. Finely slice it. Peel the carrot. Halve it and slice it into batons. Set the veg aside.
5. Tip the rice into a large bowl. Cover with cold water and whisk for 2-3 mins (you can use a fork) till the water goes cloudy. Drain the rice, rinse it under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
6. When the water is boiling under the rice, turn it right down so it is very low. Gently simmer the rice for 8 mins till all the water is absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave it to stand, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice.
7. While the rice simmers, put the wok on a medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Heat for 2 mins. Add the beef to the wok. Stir fry for 5 mins till the beef is browned. Lift it out and pop it on a plate.
8. Add the onion, leek and carrot to the wok with 2 tbsp water. Stir fry for 5 mins to just start to soften the veg. Return the beef to the pan. Add 150ml boiling water. Simmer for 5 mins till the veg and beef are just cooked.
9. Fluff the rice up with a fork. Divide between 2 warm bowls. Spoon the beef, veg and the sauce over the rice and serve.