- 500g Jersey royal potatoes
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 onions
- 250g asparagus
- 8 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves or a large handful of wild garlic
- 1 lemon
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1cm-thick slices. Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion. Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe frying pan, about 25cm in diameter, over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and onion, cover with a lid and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the garlic. Swirl it into the potatoes. Cook for 5 mins more, stirring occasionally, till the potatoes are cooked but not golden. Take the pan off the heat and scoop out the veg, straining off the olive oil and reserving it.
3. Trim the woody ends from the asparagus. Cut the asparagus into small pieces, keeping the top tips slightly larger. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat together, adding a pinch of salt and pepper. Peel and grate in the garlic cloves, or finely chop the wail garlic and add it to the eggs. Finely grate in the zest form the lemon. Whisk together.
4. Set the frying pan you’ve been using over medium heat. Add 3 tbsp of the reserved olive oil and the potato mixture. Add the chopped asparagus and stir to mix. Pour over the egg mixture and cook for 5 mins.
5. Put the frying pan in the preheated oven. Cook for 15-20 mins till the eggs are set and cooked and the surface is slightly golden. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you're taking it for a picnic, let it cool completely before packing.