- 75g bulgar wheat
- 100ml boiling water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 100g kale
- 1 avocado
- 2 fillets of hot smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp omega seed mix
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: nil
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Tip 75g bulgar wheat into a heatproof bowl and pour over 100ml boiling water from the kettle. Cover the bowl with a plate and set to one side for 10 mins, to allow the bulgar wheat to soak up the water and 'cook'.
2. Peel the garlic and grate it into a large salad bowl. Grate in the zest from the lemon and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Pick the mint leaves off their stalks, then tear them into the bowl. Pour in 1 tbsp olive oil and and season with salt and pepper. Whisk together to make a dressing. Taste and add more lemon juice, salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
3. Strip the kale leaves away from the thick stalks. Roughly chop the kale leaves and give them a quick rinse under a cold tap if needed. Shake the leaves dry and add them to the salad bowl containing the dressing. Rub and scrunch the kale leaves with the dressing for about 5 mins, massaging the dressing into the leaves till they're dark green and slightly softened. Set the bowl to one side.
4. Halve and stone the avocado, then scoop the flesh out of the skin and thinly slice. Add the avocado to the kale. Fluff up the cooked bulgar wheat with a fork and add it to the bowl, draining away any excess water. Toss everything together.
5. Divide the salad between plates. Crumble the hot smoked salmon fillets over the top. Sprinkle over the mixed seeds and serve.